The Ozark Mountain Area Hobby and Wargaming Club

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

painting tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pieeater5

PostSubject: painting tips   Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:59 am

I have just started to get information on painting my models does anyone have any tips?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KOMOSUNDER
Admin

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 am

There are so many different techniques out there it can be hard to get on to all of them. For someone new to painting I would recommend starting off with a good wash. That are easy to use, and they make your modal look fantastic. It won't nessasarily win a painting prize, but it is probably the next step in developing your painting
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tomahawc.forumotion.com
haren

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 am

I'd say stay away from trying to paint whites and yellows until you learn how to thin your paints for it. Both colors are the trickiest colors to paint smoothly.

The biggest thing that people told me when i started painting is to not be afraid of mistakes. If you make one, it's not the end of the world because you can just cover it up with more paint. Did you goof up on an entire model? Soak it in some Simple Green for a few hours. Mistakes will happen no matter the level of the painter. Heck you can watch some of these golden demon level painters who post on youtube and you'll see them goof up, but they know how to cover their mistakes.

Finally, just paint. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. As you become more comfortable with base coating, throw in washing to bring out shadows. Once your comfortable with washing, try out highlighting to bring out details. Need to cover a large textured area with a highlight? Why not give dry brushing a shot. The more advanced techniques such as wet & dry blending just come with time and experience. Just remember that every one started out where you are and that it just takes time and practice to get better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pieeater5

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MADLarkin

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Youtube can be a great source to see the different techniques used. That is how I learned how to paint most of my models. I would also suggest using simple green. It takes the paint off of metal models great, it takes some more time for plastic models. Don't worry about messing up your mini's. Just chuck them in the simple green if you are unhappy and start again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LAWNDART

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:39 pm

GM published a book more like a codex than a book a few editions ago on how to paint models and another one on how to paint space marines. Included are some basic techniques such as the aformentioned washing , drybrushing, mixing your own palette, different primer colors to create a brighter or darker base color. It also shows shading and palette. You can usually find one on the used shelf at meta, ebay or even i have seen them at used book stores. Remember to paint from the inside out. Meaning the recesses are black so start with black then hit the high spots with your next color then highlght again. Very difficult to force color into crevices short of washing without getting paint on unwanted areas. Plan your scheme ill even write mine down. Some detail gets lost when in play so remember its really how they look 3 ft away. People always look at the bigger pieces first. I.E. in a bug army spend alot more time on your hive tyrant than the squad of gaunts until you paint a show army.White primers can make your reds and yellows much brighter than when using black but then youll prob need to wash to get the detail in so all in what you want it to finally look like. Some other tips might be i paint 1 model like 1 gaunt all the way out to make sure its what i like then i assembly line the rest. Prop your hands on the table while you paint to increase steadiness. Some smaller models are hard to hold and keep my hands out of the way so i use these clips i got at the dollar store to attach to the slot underneath to allow me to hold further from my hand. Hope these get ya started , have fun and Like haren said get in there and paint its the only way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pieeater5

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:28 am

thanks guys again and i have started to paint my Necron warriors and i am very pleased with them so hopefully i will show you guys some of them on the July tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: painting tips   

Back to top Go down

painting tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1