TOMAHAWC.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ozark Mountain Area Hobby and Wargaming Club

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bug on the Battlefield

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Feastmaster

Bug on the Battlefield Empty
PostSubject: Bug on the Battlefield   Bug on the Battlefield EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Helo 40K Players,

The Tyranids were the 2nd army for me as a 40K player and really introduced me to hand-to-hand compared to my shooty Dark Angel Space Marines. I loved the feel of waves of chitterling claws running at a gun line with alien speed and fearless determination. So many movies give you great ideas of how and why Tyranids attack and consume their enemies (like Alien, Starship Troopers, etc). I think of lines like, “If just one of them make it inside, it’s game over”. I have seen one genestealer hit a full Tau Fire Warrior squad and watched them fold like paper. I recently charged a brood of genestealers at the Necron Lord Oberron with 10 immortals and killed them all before they ever had a chance to strike back. I have had one Genestealer destroy a Blood Angel dreadnought within one assault phase and flipped a Chimera transport tank with a squad inside with lethal precision. But, things have changed in the world of 40K.
For those that have played or played against bugs, one challenge that Tyranid players have in this edition is armor. With Hormagaunts not able to be str 4 base anymore and rending attacks reduced to d3 instead of d6 for armor penetration, along with the venom cannon being a small blast template instead of 3 solid shots and the barbed strangler being reduced in overall strength, the ability to deal with tanks has hurt this army.
Recently, my army build and tactics have changed with how I play Tyranids after watching Bulletsponge play a Spore Pod drop army with great success in Joplin at Changing Hands. His “Peek a Poo” list was able to adapt to the battlefield faster than a standard list and created line of sight issues for the enemy with Spore Pods randomly appearing on the board.
After watching this list in action, and a strong push to try out the Doom by Lawndart, I put the below list together and have had very good success. Currently, in non- tournament play, my record is: 1 minor loss Vs Eldar, 1 draw Vs Eldar, and 8 wins vs. Necron, Orks, Space Marines (Pedro), Chaos Demons, Tau, and Blood Angels. A lot of my wins have also been full board wipes against my enemies.
Tactics for this list starts with the first die roll. Enemies of bugs usually like to go first to get as many rounds of shooting before the Tyrands hit your line. With this army, similar to the tactic Chaos Demons use, it wants to go 2nd in the round. While you may give up a nice deployment zone with awesome terrain, do not worry…You will be in that zone in due time. With most missions, after you enemy deploys, your done deploying as well. Your entire army goes in reserve in one fashion or another. With the Trygon, Zoanthropes, and the Doom deep striking, Genestealers outflanking, and the rest of your army coming in your long board edge or the hole that the Trygon leaves when he pops-up, you get the chance to deny a full 2 rounds of shooting by your enemy. This is what the Bug army needs….To reduce the amount of shots that the army takes before it is allowed to do its job.
Ticks in the pod give great anti-armor ability since they can show-up close to use their 18” lance psychic ability. Also, the strength 6, 6 inch pods attacks can suppress vehicles with rear/side armor attacks with not huge difficulty. Another great tool with armor is the Trygon Prime and the Hive Guard. With 12, str 5 shooting attacks deep striking up, the Trygon can stun or shake lots of the light APCs in the game these days to prevent movement or shooting from it and the squad inside. With the Hive Guard walking in from the long edge or coming up out of the dirt the round after the Trygon shows up (or deployed in terrain that the enemy has no LOS to the brood), it brings great str 8 shooting attacks that ignore most cover saves currently available to vehicles through wargear or moving flat out (check the Tyrand FAQ on GW’s website regards the Impaler Cannons,,ouch).
The Genestealers outflank with the additional toughness of the Broodlord gives the unit the staying power to even hit units in cover and still be able to get their attacks. Toxin sacs giving the reroll to wound increases your odds of not only causing more armor saves, but gives you a 2nd chance for rending.
For me being an old Rogue Trader player, four troops choice is the bare minimum I would run at 1750pts. The nice thing is the Tervigon helps with that issue with counting as a troop choice and spawning additional free troops choices. Also, as long as the gaunts stay within 6”, they get the advantage of momma bugs toxin sacs and adrenal glands.
The Doom…Wow!! It has been the MVP for so many games. Sure it dies from one str 8 or higher hit that I do not save, but its leech ability has killed entire units, tough HQ characters, then destroyed vehicles with wreckless abandon with a str 10 large template blast. Try to find multiple units of infanty nearby and let the pod be your postman for the Doom. (Thank you Lawndart for the advise!)
Last but not least (especially with its point value!) is the Swarmlord with the tryant guard. First off, I know it is A LOT of points for an HQ. And, with it coming off the board edge against foes, can I justify using it and getting any real value? I will be honest, I have had some matches were I never got to hand to hand. But, its value for this list goes beyond his assault abilities. First thing, Alien Cunning. The +1 reserve and the reroll outflank ability really helps make this army function correctly with pretty much the entire army in reserve. 2nd ability, 18” synapse. This helps keeps the army fearless for much the entire match with the ticks, Tervigon, and Trygon Prime helping to cover the majority of the board. 3rd ability, giving preferred enemy or furious charge or acute senses to a brood within 18”. Sure is fun to give a gaunt squad preferred enemy with this ability while the Tervigon 6” away is giving the squad toxin sacs and adrenal glands.
When it comes to a nasty hand to hand unit, the Swarmlord with his guard are a rough group. Lash whips help slow down the halberds and fast Elder along with not allowing the Swarmlord to be targeted directly in hand to hand or shooting while they are alive. 4+ inv save in Hand to hand plus the ability to cause instant death and your enemy having to reroll successful inv saves makes many enemy commanders want to avoid assault with this group. I have become a fan.
So, below is what I am running and I would be interested to hear your feedback. If you have suggestions or thoughts, please share them so I and others can benefit from your ideas.

Hive Fleet Freezing Rain (Tyranids) 1750pts

1) Trygon Prime 200pts -Heavy Support-
Options: Regeneration; +25pts/ Upgrade to Trygon Prime; +40pts
265pts

2) Ticks (Zoanthrope) (2) 120pts -Elite-
Options: Mycetic Spore; +40pts
160pts

3) The Doom of Malan’Tai 90pts -Elite-
Options: Mycetic Spore; +40pts
130pts

4) Hive Guard Brood (2) 100pts -Elite-
100pts

5) Genestealer Brood (10) 140pts -Troops-
Options: Toxin Sacs; +30pts/Broodlord; +46pts/ Scything Talons; +2pts
218pts

6) Genestealer Brood (10) 140pts -Troops-
Options: Toxin Sacs; +30pts/Broodlord; +46pts
216pts

7) Termagaunt Brood (13) 65pts -Troops-
65pts
Cool Tervigon 160pts -Troops-
Options: Scything Talons; +5pts/ Adrenal Glands; +10pts/ Toxin Sacs; +10pts
185pts

9) The Swarmlord 280pts -HQ*-
280pts

10) Tyrant Guard Brood (2) 120pts -HQ*-
Options: (2) Lash Whips; +10pts
130pts

Total: 1749pts

HQ: 410pts [1/2] (23.4%)/ Elite: 390pts [3] (22.3%)/ Heavy Support: 265pts [1] (15.2%)/ Troops: 684pts [4] (39.1%)
Back to top Go down
KOMOSUNDER
Admin
KOMOSUNDER

PostSubject: Re: Bug on the Battlefield   Bug on the Battlefield EmptySun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 pm

What do you think about bugs in the new edition? Anything you would change?
Back to top Go down
https://tomahawc.forumotion.com
Feastmaster

PostSubject: Re: Bug on the Battlefield   Bug on the Battlefield EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Hey Komo,

I am still getting use to bugs in the new edition. Fleet has changed the dynamics of the charge and units that outflank or infilitrate that can not charge round#1 hurts the genestealers alot. However, the "6 deployment out of transports helps get models in position out of the pods once they land.
Another factor for bugs now is the new psychic abilities they have access to. Bugs, like other codexs have suffered from codex escalation. For example, the Blood Angels psychic ability "Fear the Dark" is much much better than the bug's "The Horror". So, with bugs now having access to more options in the main rulebook, it dos give them a boon.
One thing that I see alot of debate on is the impaler cannons the Hive Guard have. With the general rule for wound allocation in the new rules, I have seen a post that says these guns can not hurt models that the Hive Guard can not see. I am having trouble with this ruling since that is what one of the main assests this gun does for bug players (and what the codex describes as what the gun does). Also, the rulebook has an example of attacks that can hit and wound models out of LOS of the shooter (for example: barrage attacks from tanks or units like mortors). Why would the impaler guns the Hive Guard carry be any different? If you can help with this question, I would appreciate it.
Another benefit for bugs in this new edition is psychic hoods are not as cool s they use to be. Most blessing will not be touched by any psychi denial.
Overwatch (especially with flamers) can really hurt the charge, but will have more data after this weekend hopefully.

Hugs and Hand Grenades,

Feastmaster
Back to top Go down
KOMOSUNDER
Admin
KOMOSUNDER

PostSubject: Re: Bug on the Battlefield   Bug on the Battlefield EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 3:57 pm

I love dusting off my bugs. i'm excited to see them as a strong choice in competitive play.

Ive found fleet to be a very powerful bonus to bugs. with an average charge range of 10in, those stealers and trigons are going to have a good chance of getting to there desired targets.

bugs are now the psychic monstrosities we all wanted them to be. i was telling lawndart how i've started running broodlords as psychic hubs. you can drop them on the table almost anywhere, and they can use 4 of the 6 biomancy abilities with devastating effectiveness. if you get lucky, you may just roll a 1. str 8 tuff 8 modal running across the table is hard to deal with.

oh the tuff bug question. i've spent a lot of time on the hive guard. I sympathize with your position, and dug deep hoping i could find solid support to get a foothold on overruling the norm.

ill start with the barrage you brought up - barrage weapons draw there line of site from the centre of the blast not the model.
the codex also states that you can target a unit that is out of LOS. the problem with this that it has only been implied that you can also wound the target. the implication comes about with the question "if you cant damage it, why can i target it?"
to disprove this thought, you would need to prove that there is a possibility to shoot at a target and damage it, where you would not be able to without this rule. now ill give you the example:
a unit of 5 space marine are behind solid cover with only 2 members of the squad in LOS. the models in LOS are 25in away from the have guard but the models with out LOS are with in the 24in range.
in this example, the average unit can not target it, but the hive guard can still target the squad and allocate wounds to the two models in LOS but out of range.
what i like about the hive guard in 6th ed is the ability to place him on a def line quad gun and blast away at flyers and fast skimmers ignoring there jink saves.
Back to top Go down
https://tomahawc.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bug on the Battlefield   Bug on the Battlefield Empty

Back to top Go down

Bug on the Battlefield
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TOMAHAWC.com :: Warhammer 40k :: Army Lists :: Tyranids-
Jump to: