TOMAHAWC.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ozark Mountain Area Hobby and Wargaming Club

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decent of Angels-well almost

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Avalbane
Avalbane

Decent of Angels-well almost Empty
PostSubject: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm

In a world of tanks infantry is a pain to deal with. So here is my DOA variant(@1500pts).

HQ-Reclusiarch, Jump pack, Infernus pistol-170

T-10 Assault Marines, 2-Meltaguns, P-fist on the Serg-235

T-10 Assault Marines, 2-Meltaguns, P-fist on the Serg-235

E-2 Sanguinary Priests, 2-Jump packs, 2-Infernus pistols, 2-Power Weapons, 2-Melta Bombs-220

E- Furioso Dreadnought, Blood fists, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour-150
DT- Drop Pod, Locator Beacon-45----------------------------------195

FA- Vanguard Veterans, 5-Jump packs, 2-Power Weapons, 3-Storm Shields, Thunderhammer on the Serg-270

HS- Dreadnought, Heavy flamer, Extra Armour-130
DT- Drop Pod, locator Beacon-45------------------175

TOTAL----------------------------------------1500

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Back to top Go down
Feastmaster

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Hey Avalbane,

First off, I hate your Vanguard...Especially when they get Blood Angel angry at the start of the game. What a great unit for the Blood Angel army. Expensive, true but awesome with only a d6 scatter.
I am also a fan of the Dreadnoughts in Pods. The ability to put a tough melee walker in the backfield that you must deal with can really cause issues for alot of armies. I have had my Space Wolf venerable dreadnought be my MVP on more than one game with str 10 hits and a Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer shot in the back or side of a vehicle causing me problems.
While you have the ability to combat squad, I always have concerns with only having 2 troops choices. I know some players run min troop selections, but even at the below pt total, I think I would fiqure out a way to run at lease three.
This army has ruined my day before at a tournament while I played Imperial Guard so I remember them well! The DOA drop and priests makes them very hard to deal with. Wanted to ask how you felt about the beacons...Do you feel you really get their value with the DOA ability? I know your other dread in a pod can use the beacon, but does it really help you alot with the rest of your army?

Hugs and Hand Grenades,

Feastmaster
Back to top Go down
Avalbane
Avalbane

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 pm

I do love my Vanguard. I know that build is very expensive. But I built them to deal with units like Thunderwolf Cav. And for the most part they do it well. They would be better with 2 more shield, but at that point getting them to pay for themselves is hard.

I find the beacons to be a bit more of a saftey blanket. At only 10 pts I think its handy when I can use it. I tend to use them more for my vanguard vets. I know in the last tournament I brought in almost my entire army off of them.

As elite as the army is, and as well as it functions I do have a problem with only having 2 troops. (This could be because of the guys that taught me to play. Smile ) Once I get above this point total I start adding in troops, then toys if I have points left. I personaly feel better when my armys have 3 or more troops.
Back to top Go down
KOMOSUNDER
Admin
KOMOSUNDER

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 pm

I have always had a hard time getting Vanguard vets in list. don't get me wrong i love them, but its hard to spend the that much on 5 guys. i like the idea of the idea of planting them without the scatter. i can see that making them much harder to deal with.

i know its rare at 1500, but what is the plan if you run into a death star, for example: pallys/knob bikes/ext..ext..ext. you don't really have the numbers to deal with them, nor do you have the guns to shoot them down. obviously you are going to have a easy time with a ton of objectives not the table, but i see low number objective or kill points giving you a very hard time.

you are going to give mech lists a run for there money. i can see a 3ed turn wipe if playing IG, Mech BA, and maybe even DA.

have you thought about running the lord of death? i know he is a huge point commitment, but he can be nearly impossible to deal with at 1500points. The firepower needed to take him off the table is drastically restricted in most codexes at this point level. Of course that is if you like to use him, some people just plan don't.

i have always felt the libby w/ blood lance was a good choice. but thats coming from an IG player. when a blood lance cracks through 2 chimeras to wreck a manticore, you learn to respect a modal.

but thats just my take on it. i don't play much in the way of MEQ, so take all that with a grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
https://tomahawc.forumotion.com
Avalbane
Avalbane

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 4:48 pm

You are correct, that is a lot of points to spend on 5 marines. that is why I only have one unit.

As far as using The Lord of Death, I have been testing him in a diffrent list and have considered him for this one. I am trying to stay true to the drop from the sky list. But I do need to give it a try. His point cost bothers me at 1500 pts, but if he can prove to be efficient then I can deal with the cost. I worry about all special characters not paying for them selves.

I did build this army around tournament play. (mostly against armies of the heavy MEQ type.) It's design was to make my opponits anti-armour much less effective. That would be why I am not prepared for deathstar units at the 1500 pt level. I do not have much to deal with them, 9 melta shots a turn, is not enough. When I increase this list to higher point totals, I start adding in more of the firepower to deal with those units.

And as you and feastmaster have pointed out there is much more testing to be done with this army. I will post up my planned list for 2000pts and ask that the community pleas give me some input. I would also like to get a test game in against your Draigo wing army. Your list is one that I have no test play against. And play another elite style army in the hands of a player of your ability would be a great test. (I don't mean this as a challenge.) I firmly believe that that playing games is the only way to find the weak links and fix them.
Back to top Go down
KOMOSUNDER
Admin
KOMOSUNDER

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 pm

yea i would love to get a game in with you. i'll send you a PM with my contact info (although i think you may have it)

there is a lot of room to grow to push this list to 2000pts
Back to top Go down
https://tomahawc.forumotion.com
Avalbane
Avalbane

PostSubject: A bit of rethinking.   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm

So after reading a few posts made by Errutu, and hearing a few battle reports, I have decided to make some changes to my list. I am going with more of a combined arms type list.

HQ:Dante-225

---Honor Guard, jump packs, 4-plasma guns-225

T: 10 Assault Marines, 2-meltaguns, P-fist on serg-235

T: 10 Tactical Squad, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon-185
DT: Rhino-50----------------------------------------235

FA: Attack Bike, Multi-melta-50

E: 3 Sanguinary priests, Jump Packs-225

HS: Predator, Lascannon Sponsons, Dozer Blade-140

HS: Whirlwind, Dozer Blade-95

That leaves me with 50pts to spend.

Dante and his honorguard are a drop in and decimate the deathstar unit, or just to be a total pain for light vehicles. I know they loose their assault ability with the Plasma guns, but that is 8 str 7 Ap 2 shots and one str 8 Ap 1 coming in where i want them. Its a unit that must be delt with.
The whirlwind is there for a few reasons. Hoard armies being one, being able to inderect fire is another, the last is for the ordinance rules. the lowly whirlwind is completly capable of poping tanks it canot see.(a bit of luck is needed.)

It pains me greatly to not have my beloved Vanguard. but it was either them or another troop squad. And at 200pts, I would like a 4th troop.
Back to top Go down
Errutu
Admin
Errutu

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 pm

Avalbane:
I feel your list is at a point where the mix of DoA Vs Mech needs to be more in either direction. Your reserving 4 squads, leaving whats on the field to be picked off by a fully deployed enemy. Any ranged list with first turn will take full advantage of a turn (or two if you're second player). IG, Mechdar, Long Fang Space wolves, etc will make short work of your Predator and ignore your Whirlwind. While speed lists have time to get to you, and take out your whirlwind for sure, and the predator if possible. Almost any DE list, Ork Speed freaks, Bike Eldar, etc. Whatever you leave on the field first turn has to survive your enemy's full force for 1 or 2 turns, or be prepared to fully reserve all your forces.

If you want a 4th troop, I use a regular assault squad with 2 plasma guns and a plasma pistol. That's only 5 shots, but they can hold objectives.

So here's my suggestion:

Avalbane wrote:
So after reading a few posts made by Errutu, and hearing a few battle reports, I have decided to make some changes to my list. I am going with more of a combined arms type list.

HQ:Dante-225

HQ:Librarian Jump Pack, Fear of the Darkness, Unleash Rage, Blood Lance (Most optimal or your choice) - 125

---Honor Guard, jump packs, 4-plasma guns-225

T: 10 Assault Marines, 2-meltaguns, P-fist Combimelta on serg - 245

T: 10 Assault Marines, 1-meltagun, 1-flamer, P-fist - 230

T: 10 Assault Marines, 1-meltagun, 1-flamer, P-fist - 230

T: 10 Assault Marines, 2-Plama guns, Plasma pistol on serg-235

T: 10 Tactical Squad, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon-185
DT: Rhino-50----------------------------------------235

FA: Land Speeder: MM/HF - 70

FA: Land Speeder: MM/HF - 70

Ex2: 4 Sanguinary priests, Jump Packs, Infernus Pistols - 360

Furiouso Dreadnaught - Blood Talons, Meltagun, H. Flamer, Magna Grapple, Extra armor
Drop Pod - Locator Beacon ---- 210

HS: Predator, Lascannon Sponsons, Dozer Blade-140

HS: Whirlwind, Dozer Blade-95

That leaves me with 0pts to spend.

The idea is Dante can be placed with any group. The Melta Group, The Plasma Group, the balance group and deliver them safely on target no worries. It will all depend on what your hunting, and make no mistake, you are the hunter with this list. Every IC can join that unit (including 4 infenus pistol priests if you're playing Draigo to give you 8 melta guns on the strike (nasty right...). The Dread will come in first turn, so you want your opponent to deploy and go first, reserve everything and make it rain on him, make sure you scatter all units before you use Surgical Strike on Dante because drifting into the Boss looks bad... Use the drop pod locator beacon to pull in the speeders and flamer groups if your close to infantry.

Let me know how this goes, and if you need to use any models.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decent of Angels-well almost   Decent of Angels-well almost Empty

Back to top Go down

Decent of Angels-well almost
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TOMAHAWC.com :: Warhammer 40k :: Army Lists :: Blood Angles-
Jump to: